Friday, June 21, 2013

To Hose or Not to Hose

Well my position in this debate will be no surprise, but I have a few more thoughts on it as well. I write this on Sunday evening, after spending the afternoon at a very swanky wedding in Boston. I was designated driver, hence my ability to write coherently. I went with my friends Jane and Alice, two women I have known for a very long time. Both of these women have power jobs, and both are my age, significantly over 21 as it were. I believe both have had a nip and tuck, though they won’t admit it. And they both looked spectacular, Alice in a bright yellow dress, nude hose and yellow pumps with platforms and 6 inch heels; Jane in a black and white number with black hose also with heels, but more elegant than Alice’s and no platform.

Many (or most) of the women at this function had bare legs, white from being hidden over the winter, or some shade of spray tan that is mostly a horrible shade of orange. But some of them had the good taste to dress properly, and one young lady wore a spectacular strapless dress with some very shiny hose. The dress was pretty short, and she wore it well. And it seemed to me that all the lecherous men in the crowd were giving her a lot more attention that her pasty leg friends.

I actually have gotten into this debate with women, and I maintain that the very fact that women wear dresses, a bit of clothing very different than pants, is why they should wear hosiery. (It is funny when they tell me I don’t understand how horrible stockings and pantyhose are to wear!) They should be celebrating their legs and using hosiery to enhance them.

Spanx and the Like

I mentioned that I have purchased some Spanx and actually worn them. They are OK, but not for me. What I find interesting is the number of women who not only admit to wearing Spanx or something similar, but seem to brag about it. At the aforementioned wedding I was part of one of these conversations. The woman in question was complimented on how nice she looked (And she was wearing hosiery!) and she said that her Spanx to thank for it or should couldn’t have gotten into her dress.

Since I occasionally troll about the lingerie departments in big stores I have also noticed how large the selection is of this merchandise has become. Maybe they should all go back to good old girdles dontcha think?






 Musings

Did you ever wonder who ties that little knot in the end of the tampon strings? How would that job look on a resume? …..I have always had a “thing” for Sandra Bullock, especially as a blond with a southern accent in the movie “Blind Side”…….a long time flight attendant friend, now retired, told me that her supervisor used to force them to lift their skirts to confirm they were properly girdled! Wouldn’t have to ask me twice…..Madonna looks to have had some work done on her face, and the world is shocked. Come on what did you expect?......


Spanx and the Like
I mentioned that I have purchased some Spanx and actually worn them. They are OK, but not for me. What I find interesting is the number of women who not only admit to wearing Spanx or something similar, but seem to brag about it. At the aforementioned wedding I was part of one of these conversations. The woman in question was complimented on how nice she looked (And she was wearing hosiery!) and she said that her Spanx to thank for it or should couldn’t have gotten into her dress.

Since I occasionally troll about the lingerie departments in big stores I have also noticed how large the selection is of this merchandise has become. Maybe they should all go back to good old girdles dontcha think?

Makeup
Considering the amount of space makeup takes in department stores and health and beauty aid stores, I don’t see all that many women wearing it. If you’re like me you can spot that one woman with red lips from 30 feet away. Of course Trudy makes up for many of them, as she is caking it on as she always did.



My Life
Shopping
I love warehouse stores, really I do. I live alone but I NEED 60 rolls of toilet paper, 12 rolls of paper towels etc. I have a membership at BJ’s, but recently got something so that I could shop at Costco. Now if you follow my photos you know I have a thing for feminine hygiene products. I can honestly say there has not been one time in my adult life when dressed that I wasn’t wearing some type of pad or diaper, and 99% of the time tampons. A girl can’t be too careful! But this gets expensive because I use a lot of these and change them 3 or 4 times a day. One of the real bargains at Costco and the like is tampons and pads. So with all my other “bargains” in my cart, I went to the feminine hygiene aisle. I got the extra large box of 72 Kotex Supers, 2 boxes of Kotex “u”, 2 boxes of Playtex gentle Glide Super, and Tampax Pearl. In addition I got some incontinence pads in the super extra heavy overnight size.

Normally I got to the self checkout, but there was an attractive young lady at one of the registers, and I couldn’t resist. So there she is with a lovely smile scanning what amount to about 450 tampons! If she had any thoughts on this, she sure didn’t show it.

Shopping 2
I maintain that a good attitude and a smile goes a long way. I was at Lord and Taylor last week, when they were having one of those super 25% off everything plus stuff is on sale and clearance. So I found this Alex Evenings top, but no skirt to match. The salesperson who has taken care of me before, an older African American woman who is lovely, took this as a challenge. I told her I had more shopping to do, and I would come back. She not only found me the matching skirt in my size, but another twin set with matching chiffon pants. I got both of course.

1 comment:

  1. April, I have followed your life's journey for a number of years. You always bring a giggle and a smile to my daily life. Now that thought "scanning what amount to about 450 tampons! If she had any thoughts on this, she sure didn’t show it." That got a bellylaugh. Good journey, April. You are an Original! Ciao. Patricia

    ReplyDelete