Saturday, July 10, 2010

Why do I like support stockings?


I get this question a lot! I thought I would answer it today, because I happened to find 18 pairs of RHT support stockings in my size, in boxes still, at a yard sale.
So why do I like support stockings? One reason is that they are pretty indestructible-- they almost never run. But it is more of course. I love the sheen they have, and the way the feel when I wear them. Just like my heavy duty girdle and longline, the are tight fitting, and give me a feeling of security.
When my corset shop was still open I usually wnet over early in the morning as my male self. One Saturday I got a call from my beloved Sadie that two girdles that were being altered were finished. I had never gone in dressed to this point. So I told her and she told me to come anyway. Fortunately I was dressed to go out, not with my heavy duty makeup.
I took a bus over because I hated driving while dressed.
I went in and Sadie didn't recognize me, not a huge surprise. What was most shocking was that 2 minutes into our conversation, she noticed the support hose. But then another customer came in to try stuff on, an attractive woman in her 40's. There was only Sadie, and only 2 dressing rooms. So she told me to go into one of the rooms so I could try on the girdles. I was down to foundation garments when the curtain flew open and in she came.
For the next 20 minutes she was in and out, taking care of both of us customers. I always remember that day when I struggle with a pair of vintage support stockings.

No comments:

Post a Comment